Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Writing advice

"If people show up in one of my classes and want to learn to write, or to write better, I can tell them everything that has helped me along the way and what it is like for me on a daily basis.  I can teach them little things that may not be in any of the great books on writing.  For instance, I'm not sure anyone else has mentioned that December is traditionally a bad month for writing.  It is a month of Mondays.  Mondays are not good writing days.  One has had all that freedom over the weekend, all that authenticity, all those dreamy dreams, and then your angry mute Slavic Uncle Monday arrives, and it is time to sit down at your desk.  So I would simply recommend to the people in my workshops that they never start a large writing project on any Monday in December. Why set yourself up for failure?"
-Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird (xxvii)

No comments:

Post a Comment